Built by the Portuguese, his Fort is situated on the right bank of Mandovi River. This Fort is surrounded by sturdy laterite walls. The fort was formerly an accommodation for viceroys and other dignitaries newly arrived from Lisbon in the 1700’s. Later, it was abandoned by the military and served as a prison from 1900 to 1993.The Fort had begun to crumble. in 2008 with the funds being provided by the UK the restoration work was conducted. The fort is now converted into a cultural center and a huge tourist attraction.