The area near Chapora River, in hands of Prince Akbar the place was made into his base camp. The present fort was built in 1717, replacing the older fortifications. The fort sits in a position which gives the view in all directions. Inside the fort, the church, once dedicated to St. Anthony, has mysteriously disappeared only a few signs exist of the barracks and housing that once filled the area. A natural valley to the beach provides a natural access to the sea.